How to tell if your skin barrier is damaged?Mistetic
What is the skin barrier?
So today, let’s learn how to tell if your skinbarrier is damaged. 💁
The skin barrier is mainly composed of 3 lipids:
- Free or essential fatty acids
It mainly forms the skin’s outermost layer, shielding the skin against external aggressors. It is also known as the moisture barrier since it helps to retain moisture in the skin.
Your skin barrier is damaged if you have the following symptoms:
- Dryness (oil disbalance)
- Dehydration (moisture disbalance)
- Tightness (moisture disbalance)
- Stinging or burning sensation
- Crepiness and fine lines
Causes of skin barrier damage:
- Harmful ingredients in skincare products
- Not enough sleep
- Environmental pollution
- Skin aging and genetics
- Not moisturizing enough
How to repair your skin barrier
- Find out why your skin barrier is damaged
- Do less exfoliation
- Moisturize a lot!
- Get back to your safe skin care products
You can help repair your skin’s barrier by:
- Using a non-stripping skin oil mild cleanser,
- Using products with a balanced pH, and a moisturizer that contains ceramides or a humectant like hyaluronic acid.
- Always wearing a sunscreen especially when goig outdoors!